Friday, July 6, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake

A few weeks ago, I was invited by my godson, Zachary, to visit his 7th grade Home and Careers class. No, it wasn't any run-of-the-mill, Myers-Briggsian, or sewing-pattern -driven Home and Careers class... it was the annual, West Babylon Middle School Cake Contest. Fierce and cutthroat, this was cake-eating at its finest. To clarify the rules of the contest, which are fairly straightforward, teacher-assembled groups of students baked and decorated cakes of their own choosing, with visiting guests rating each cake in terms of design, consistency, and, of course, taste.

I don't profess to be any connoisseur or to have any particularly discerning -- or even sophisticated -- opinions when it comes to cake-sampling. But, I know what I like and, by most standards, I think I can reasonably say what tastes good. Zach's team's masterpiece tasted good. Very good, in fact. I'm proud to say that my godson's "Candyland" cake, well, took the cake.

To see what a work of art was crafted at West Babylon Middle School, I provide you with the visual:

Sweet.